Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Summer is Upon Us

Okay, Okay. So maybe I'm a little smitten with my little princess. Joy captured this tender moment during a little afternoon snooze session yesterday.

I hope everyone had an enjoyable long weekend. The weather was nice and warm yesterday. Monterey Beach didn't have any war protesters which kept my blood pressure in check, and we fired up the grill for the first time in a bit. It kind of hit me: summer is upon us. For us that is good, but also means the end of our little sojourn from reality. For me, the approach of June means I have to start shaving again, get a short haircut, and report for...(clearing throat)...WORK. Yeah, I know. NPS has spoiled me. So I have to prepare to do this whole military thing again complete with full work days, uniforms, and accountability. The horror!

And for Joy, my Arabic class starting and then my parents leaving means the impending removal of her security blanket. First, I leave her and head to work EVERY DAY (gasp). But, my parents will bridge that time period. They'll leave shortly thereafter, though. She'll do fine. She's an awesome mother. But I think we're both somewhat nervous about the new routine or at least keenly aware of the changes that have taken place in our family. The other night we took a little stroll around the block after supper and it seemed to both of us that we had literally and figuratively hit a new level as a family. Aiden is one thing, but two kids and a dog...it was this moment of realization that we were now in the big leagues. Game on so to speak.

But we still have a few days of fun left. So we'll be hitting the park, playing in the sprinkler, touching starfish at the aquarium, and squeezing every ounze of fun out of the good deal here before it gets tough. One day at a time.

Hope everyone has a great week!

For the hancocks,
Daniel

No comments: