Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Meaning of Memorial Day



I usually send out a little piece via email every Memorial Day reminding my family of one our own family heroes, Major Daniel Iverson, Jr., USMC who served gallantly at Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, and Midway. I plan on saying a bit about Dan on Memorial Day again per tradition, and I will post that tomorrow.  But leading up to Memorial Day Weekend I wanted to try to frame Memorial Day in the proper perspective. I hope you'll bear with me and read what I have written. I have tried to make it apolitical and it comes from the bottom of my heart. I hope you'll take a few minutes to read it.

I still remember where I was when the twin towers were struck. We probably all do. I was walking in an underground corridor beneath the Naval Academy library on my way back to my dormitory. Not that I didn't understand what the military was about, but the gravity of the situation was not lost on my class of 2002 that fall. As we were all finding out whether we would be jet jocks or Marines or SEALs or submariners or surface guys after graduation, the event's of 9/11 certainly reframed the issue of commissioned service for me and my classmates. A few months later, as I sat with my classmates in the burning sun at my graduation, the phrase that kept popping into my head was part of our class motto: In harm's way. When our class voted on our class motto as idealistic plebes we probably did so because it sounded cool or something ridiculous. Four years later, we stood ready to accept our commissions and head into harm's way.


As I sat and thought about the personal connection and cost to me of the 'War on Terror' or Iraq War or whatever you choose to call what is going on, I was rather astounded at how many people I knew, drank beers with, studied with, played with, and lived with at Annapolis had been injured in combat. More than I fathomed. By the grace of God no one I personally know well has died, and all have largely recovered from their combat wounds. For other Academy graduates, and scores of other servicemembers from all services, though, this is not the case.

Unfortunately for them, and others before them, Memorial Day has become clouded with the political rhetoric of activists and politicians. For many other Americans it simply means the start of summer fever: a trip to the beach, the lake, barbeque, and beer. One's support for the Iraq War or conversely disdain for the Bush Administration does not matter. Whether you voted for John McCain, Hillary Clinton, Barrack Obama or Ron Paul does not matter. This was once a sancrosanct holiday with reverence and reflection. It was created specifically to remember those who DIED under and for the flag of our country. I for one, believe that the scope of America, from its conception - present, right or wrong, smooth or rough in the implementation of its foreign policy, is a worthy recipient of one's service and sacrifice. Service members don't get to pick what battles we fight or in what wars we participate; we simply serve. This simple act of service and often death are worthy of our remembrance and reflection. So, as we head into Memorial Day Weekend, please take time at meals, with your spouse, your children, to share, reflect and talk about what Memorial Day really means. There are several ways you can mark this occassion every year:

-by visiting cemeteries and placing flags or flowers on the graves of our fallen heroes.
-by visiting memorials.
-by flying the U.S. Flag at half-staff until noon.
-by flying the 'POW/MIA Flag' as well (Section 1082 of the 1998 Defense Authorization Act).
-by participating in a "
National Moment of Remembrance": at 3 p.m. to pause and think upon the true meaning of the day, and for Taps to be played.
-by renewing a pledge to aid the widows, widowers, and orphans of our falled dead, and to aid the disabled veterans.

I hope that maybe some of you will consider one or more of these ways to honor our dead warriors and make it a family tradition, something that will bring you together in a common purpose. These are simple but meaningful expressions of thanks for generations present and past that have given all for the freedoms we enjoy. On the last note, I understand that money is tight right now but I ask you to consider being a part of a generation that gives freely. There are several organizations for which I am particularly fond of that fulfill the intent of that last bullet:aiding the widows, widowers, families, and orphans of our fallen. Please take a moment to look at these websites and at least become aware of the types of reputable organizations out there and the scope of what they are doing for our injured and dead. They are:


In the military, we do a CFC (combined federal campaign) annually that makes it easy enough to set up an allotment for a few dollars a month for virtually any charity one can imagine. Joy and I have dealt with the Semper Fi Fund, SEAL Fund, and the Special Ops Fund. I have not done anything with the other two, but in doing some research, they look very good. I especially like the wounded warrior one that specifically cares for the family of injured and fallen comrades. Please take 5 mins of your day to peruse the websites and if the spirit moves you, consider making a one time donation to one of these worthy organizations that honor, help, and sustain the wounded, fallen and their families. Maybe it is something you or your family might consider doing to commemorate our fallen.
I have personally seen the impact of the Semper Fi Fund on Marines with whom I have served in San Diego. An officer on my last ship has a good friend from high school who was married to a Navy SEAL killed in action. This friend and her son have been provided for from the SEAL Fund to include scholarship money for the child's college. These are really important organizations that can make an impact for our veterans and the families of those left behind.

Thanks for taking the time to read this message. It is important to me. I hope in the days leading up to Memorial Day you will consider some of the things I have highlighted and you will also consider signing a petition to revert the Memorial Day Holiday back to May 30 so that it is a singular day of somber observance rather than a weekend to kick off summer. You can sign the petition here: http://www.usmemorialday.org/act.html

Don't get me wrong; I'll definitely have a beer or two this weekend, but let's keep the focus where it should be: our fallen warriors.

God Bless.

Daniel

No comments: