Sunday, February 19, 2012

Someone Worthy of Honor

He can't bring down the house with his voice, but he is truly worthy of honor: Chief Warrant Officer Christopher G Stern.
CWO4 Chris Stern on left, my former AUXO, ENS Russ Allen on right after  the retirement ceremony

Chris retired from the Navy on Friday after 28 years of honorably and faithful service to this nation.

First, let me explain how a good Engineering Department on a warship works. You have the Chief Engineer---I played that role in FARRAGUT. You have my senior enlisted member, a Senior Chief, my "Top Snipe."  Senior McKenzie and Senior Chief Fellin both played the role for me extremely well. Then you have the MPA---Main Propulsion Assistant.  MPA is usually a commissioned warrant officer or LDO. He's my right-hand man. If I'm providing a standard and a vision, and my Top Snipe is covering training and personnel issues, then MPA is the technical expert and glue that holds it all together.  I am a firm believer that an Engineering Department cannot be great, cannot excel without all three members in synergy.  There are 68 Sailors that are counting on our ability to lead them.

That high standard that I wanted, that project that I needed done, being the bad guy, discipline and order, enforcing my standard---that was Chris Stern. He was the  finest MPA I could have ever imagined or hoped to have with me.  He was my confidante---he could sense when I needed to vent. He could read my emotions.  He knew when the CO had irked me. When I was stuck in a meeting, he knew what my priorities were without asking and acted on them.  He knew when to shut up and let me blow and he was unafraid to rebuke me in private when I was wrong.  And when I had unpopular news for my Sailors---lighting off the plant on Sunday morning, bringing the guys in to work a weekend in preparation for an inspection, he backed me without flinching and ensured the department was onboard. In short, he was a true teammate, and even better friend.

Often my Chiefs and Sailors would complain to me about him. "CHENG, he's too anal with logs." "CHENG, he won't shut up about QA." "He wouldn't let me tag this out."  "MPA always tells me to get my feet off the console." "He's always yelling about the mess in the logroom or CCS."  My response? Always a big smile---He did all the little dirty work that made my job easier.  People don't always like being held to a high standard. It's always easier to be easy on yourself.  That wasn't Chris' way.  He lived by the highest standard.  He was a Chief Engineer's dream. His integrity was impeccable and his work ethic tireless.

Chris---I salute you for your service.  You're a hell of a great man.  I'm proud to always call you 'Shipmate'.  Try to enjoy retirement a little before you get right back to work.  Fair winds and Following Seas.

Your CHENG and Friend,
Dan
A long-standing Navy tradition-the retirement shadow box. It contains all his ranks rising from an enlisted fireman to the Chief's Mess, the picked up for commission rising to the Chief Warrant Officer 4. All his medals are displayed, too.


As always, feel free to comment, like on facebook, google plus, twitter, etc listed as options below. Tks.

No comments: